26 February 2008
- Last but not least: Gudmund's view of world today:
Newsletter No 6
- Although the conditions are not very exciting, we decided to go for a mission
tomorrow, see the presentation
of Jon Egill. There will
be two flights. The first flight goes to Svalbard.
After sampling the wake flow past Finmark we are heading north and measure the upstream conditions east
of Svalbard. Before landing and refueling in Longyearbyen a downstream leg will be flown. The second flight is thought to capture the downstream flow
including the predicted jet at the southern tip of Svalbard. Take-off will be at 10:00 LT.
- 16:00 LT Briefing and Preparation of tomorrow's flight
- Work on the aircraft; Andreas and Axel trying to fix the cooling system. Reinhold briefs Christian
and some Norwegians to operate the dropsonde system. Rudi and Stephan are copying Tbytes of data and start
processing them. Martin in OP sends the first quicklook.
- Meeting at 7:30 LT: we decided not to follow yesterday's plan and skip the flights; the
low is too far west and the overall situation is not very attempting (see the briefing
presentation) to use the limited
resources; we start preparations for flights on Wednesday and Thursday